What the Church is?
- The Church is a body of believing Christians.
- The Church is where the guilty are forgiven.
- The Church is the light of Jesus in this dark world.
- The Church is who we lean on in tough times.
- The Church is a praying body.
- The Church is where Christ is found.
- The Church is where our true family lives.
What the Church is not?
- The Church is not a building.
- The Church is not something you go to, you go to worship but you do not go to Church.
- The Church is not plural but singular, for there is only one.
- The Church is not Nokia Theater; you don’t have to purchase a ticket.
- The Church is not boring, because that is saying Christ is boring. Now worship well that’s another lesson.
- The Church is not a buffet, it is not a place where you feed yourself and leave when you are full.
Questions about the Church of Christ
- What is your denomination?
Answer: The Church of Christ is not a denomination or non-denominational. We are not a fraction of a whole. Ephesians 4:4 states that there is one body, one church. If there is one God, one Jesus, one bible, then there can only be one church and not a fraction.
How can I join your church?
Answer: No person can join the church; we can only be added to Christ’s church. One must obey the gospel and be saved. In Acts 2:47- …and the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved. Jesus will add to his church, and if Jesus adds you, then no man can kick you out.
What is the Gospel?
Answer: I Corinthians 15:1-4 – the gospel is the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. If an individual does not know and obey the gospel, then they cannot be saved.
How do you obey the Gospel and be saved?
Answer: After an individual has heard that Jesus died, was buried, and rose again for their sins. They must believe it, Hebrews 11:6 –He that comes to God must believe that he is a rewarder of him that diligently seek him. The individual must then repent Luke 13:3 and confess in word and deed that Jesus Christ is the son of God. On that confession they must complete the instructions from Jesus’ own mouth. Mark 16:16, He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved. Belief is not enough and baptism is not enough for salvation. A person must know the Gospel, believe it, admit in repentance that they are sinful, and on confessing the son of God, must be baptized to fully obey the Gospel.
Is your worship style traditional or contemporary?
Answer: Scriptural worship cannot be categorized as traditional or contemporary. Contemporary is defined as: From the same timeperiod. Traditional is defined: Observant of tradition; attached to old customs; old-fashioned. Worship to God cannot be put in the category as old. Our worship to God is not old, but a blessing and new every morning. Our worship is neither contemporary nor current, it is not revolutionary and changes when the culture changes. Our worship has two elements in it, John 4:23- the true worshippers worship the father in Spirit and in Truth. These elements are timeless and essential to worship.
Why don’t you call the preacher Reverend?
Answer: The reason we don’t call the minister reverend is because the bible states that Reverend is God’s name. In Psalms 111:6-9 – Holy and reverend is his name.